Pharmacy Executives Forum
2019 Spring IDN Summit Pharmacy Executives Forum Agenda
National Ballroom D
Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Moderator: William J. Martin, Pharm.D., VP Sourcing, Contracting, Value Analysis, Beaumont Health
8:00 am – 8:15 am Welcome and Introductions
8:30 am - 9:15 am Changing Up the Supply Chain: A Discussion Panel
Michael Molby, Pharmacy Manager, Atrium Health;
Matthew Partsch RPh. MBA, Director of Strategic Sourcing, UPMC;
Heather Wall, Chief Commercial Officer, Civica;
Managing pharmaceutical inventories across a multifaceted health system is costly and difficult. This interactive session will review lessons learned from healthcare supply chain leaders to the pharmacy space. Topics discussed will include managing drug shortages, acquisition of specialty Pharmacy products, accommodating payor requirements, the NORC Report on rising prices and drug shortages, and updates on ProvideGX and Civica Rx. Panelists will represent the inpatient scene with its emphasis on costs and the outpatient environment with its emphasis on reimbursement.
- Analyze new efforts being made to address shortages of generic drugs.
- Detail how strategic sourcing agreements between supply chain and pharmacy organizations can help alleviate shortages.
- Identify best practices to effectively manage pharmacy operations.
9:15 am – 9:30 am Break
9:30 am – 10:45 am The Business of Chronic Care Management
Presenter: Dave Harlow, BS., Pharm.D, Assistant VP, Pharmacy, Lab, Chronic Care, Cleveland Clinic Martin Health
Pharmacy has long sought opportunities in clinical practice that reach beyond the boundaries of the hospital walls. Invariably the barrier to that work has been a meaningful return on investment in the form of direct revenue. Medicare’s recent changes and expansion of opportunities in Chronic Care Management change that drastically. There is now a revenue model that is sustainable and expandable. Join us as Dr. Harlow illustrates the path to this opportunity.
- Define the pharmacist’s role in chronic care management
- Discuss how chronic care management will benefit patients, physicians and organizations from
- Outline a basic business plan for chronic care management service roll out.
10:45 am – 11:00 am Break
11:00 am – 12:00 pm Biosimilar Strategies: A Case Study
Presenter: Craig Burton, Vice President, Policy, Association for Accessible Medicines
The introduction of biosimilars is growing rapidly and is expected to lower costs; however, there are a number of formulary and operational challenges in implementing a successful biosimilar strategy including working with the payor community. This session will offer practical applications for developing an actionable plan for operational and clinical use of biosimilars. Discussion will also include MedPAC’s recent recommendations regarding biosimilars and what they mean for your organization.
- Discuss the potential implications of biosimilars in the hospital setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of practical applications for the use of biosimilars.
- Understand recent FDA and MedPAC guidelines for the use of biosimilars.