PHARMACY EXECUTIVES FORUM
Held on the last morning of the Summit, this invitation-only event gives senior healthcare pharmacy executives a forum to discuss pertinent issues and share collaborative ideas and best practices.
The Agenda for the Spring 2018 Pharmacy Executives Forum is below. If you would like to participate, please contact
Lisa Ponssa at 859.309.6725.
8:00 am – 8:30 am Welcome – Introductions – Opening Remarks
Moderator: William J. Martin, Pharm.D., VP Sourcing, Contracting, Value Analysis, Beaumont Health
8:30 am -- 9:30 am Improve Inventory Management Capabilities by Applying Lessons from Leading Supply
Presenter: Anita Vila-Parrish, Supply Chain Research Director, Gartner Healthcare
This interactive session will review lessons learned from healthcare supply chain leaders to the pharmacy space. Topics discussed will include defining the “right” metrics and using data and analytics to improve inventory decision-making. Examples of successful partnerships between supply chain and pharmacy organizations, including the scope of the projects and results will be discussed throughout the session.
1. Describe the metrics that encompass an end-to-end view of the pharmacy supply chain.
2. Identify strategies for using data and analytics to improve inventory decision-making.
3. Detail successful partnerships between supply chain and pharmacy organizations.
9:30 am -- 9:45 am Break
9:45 am – 10:45 am A New Approach to Affordable and Available Generic Drugs
Presenters: Mohamed Guiro, M.S., MPH, Senior Manager, Supply Chain Solutions, Intermountain Healthcare and Healther Wall, MBA, Partner, Enterprise Initiative Office, Intermountain Healthcare
A collaboration of several large health systems has recently launched an innovative solution to address the problem of shortages and the often prohibitive cost of generic medications. In this session, Intermountain Healthcare, in conjunction with Project RX, will discuss the current issues in the generic drug market and the economics driving the “why” behind the need for a not-for-profit generic drug manufacturing organization. The focus will be on Project RX’s intent to bring stability in supply and pricing to the market.
1. Explain the effect that shortages and exorbitant costs of generic drugs are having on patients.
2. Discuss the ways that Project RX will help make essential generic medications more available and more affordable.
3. Discuss the changes that a not-for-profit drug manufacturing organization could have on the pharmaceutical industry.
10:45 am – 11:00 am Break
11:00 am – 12:00 pm FDA Shortage Update
Presenter: CAPT Valerie Jensen, R.Ph., Associate Director, CDER Drug Shortage Staff, FDA
CAPT Valerie Jensen will provide an overview of the FDA’s management of drug shortages, the FDA’s current authorities and actions they are taking at this time to manage those shortages. Discussion will include an update on the FDA’s strategies to prevent and mitigate drug scarcities in the future.
1. Detail the impact that drug shortages are having on pharmacies and the steps the FDA is taking to manage those shortages.
2. Identify methods to ensure that supplies of high-priority drugs that are deemed essential will not run short nationally if disruptions in manufacturing and distribution occur.
3. Discuss other strategies to prevent drug shortages in the future.
All information is subject to change. Last updated 03/27/18.